qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] qemu-system-ppc64 -M ppce500 always booting to qemu monit

From: Do Vincenzo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] qemu-system-ppc64 -M ppce500 always booting to qemu monitor console plus no output on serial console
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 13:14:50 +0000

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Dec 2015, Do Vincenzo wrote:
>> Ok, so the last IN occurrence is this one: 0x000000000001fad8:  b
>> 0x1fad8
>> here's the full log of the last two IN: http://paste.ubuntu.com/14072313/
>> after that, the log keeps going on but without any IN.
>
> It is jumping to itself so it reached a halt condition.
>
>> Also I've tried to print what's at the 0x1fad8 address but the output is
>> empty.
>> I've printed the log buffer with the -cpu parameter:
>> http://paste.ubuntu.com/14072246/
>
> I see a kernel panic in this referring to the device tree:
>
> BUG: Failed verifying flat device tree, bad version?
> What that means though I have no idea but you could try searching for
> this.
>
> Regards,
> BALATON Zoltan

Thank you for your reply.

The error seems to come from the "/arch/powerpc/kernel/prom.c" file at line 650.

>From this patch:
>https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2014-August/120444.html
I can guess that the version of the dtb used for the guest is too old. So which
dtb should I use?
I tried using the mpc8544ds.dtb compiled from a 4.x mainline linux but I get
the same error.

And also, shouldn't I be able to see this error on the console? Why it doesn't
get printed there?

Regards,

Vincenzo Do