qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] qemu-system-ppc64 -M ppce500 always booting to qemu monit

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] qemu-system-ppc64 -M ppce500 always booting to qemu monitor console plus no output on serial console
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 16:39:43 +0100

On 17.12.15 14:14, Do Vincenzo wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Dec 2015, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Dec 2015, Do Vincenzo wrote:
>>> Ok, so the last IN occurrence is this one: 0x000000000001fad8:  b
>>> 0x1fad8
>>> here's the full log of the last two IN: http://paste.ubuntu.com/14072313/
>>> after that, the log keeps going on but without any IN.
>>
>> It is jumping to itself so it reached a halt condition.
>>
>>> Also I've tried to print what's at the 0x1fad8 address but the output is
>>> empty.
>>> I've printed the log buffer with the -cpu parameter:
>>> http://paste.ubuntu.com/14072246/
>>
>> I see a kernel panic in this referring to the device tree:
>>
>> BUG: Failed verifying flat device tree, bad version?
>> What that means though I have no idea but you could try searching for
>> this.
>>
>> Regards,
>> BALATON Zoltan
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> The error seems to come from the "/arch/powerpc/kernel/prom.c" file at line
> 650.
>
> From this patch:
> https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2014-August/120444.html
> I can guess that the version of the dtb used for the guest is too old. So
> which dtb should I use?
> I tried using the mpc8544ds.dtb compiled from a 4.x mainline linux but I get
> the same error.
>
> And also, shouldn't I be able to see this error on the console? Why it
> doesn't get printed there?

That one's easy - the fdt is used to tell Linux where to print
something. So without working device tree parsing, you don't see output,
because Linux doesn't know where the serial console lives.

As to why it doesn't like the fdt we generate inside QEMU, I don't know.
Do you manage to get into U-Boot when you run QEMU without -kernel?
Also, please give 2.5.0 a shot - compile it with its built-in device
tree code (git submodule update --init dtc).

To at least sanity check that *something* works at all :), please try
and grab a known-working uImage from
http://csgraf.de/tmp/e5500-bug/uImage. Then run it using

  qemu-system-ppc64 -M ppce500 -nographic -cpu e5500 -kernel uImage

Alex