qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] [Qemu-devel] Effective way to test PowerPC lwbrx instruct

From: G 3
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] [Qemu-devel] Effective way to test PowerPC lwbrx instruction
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 08:33:39 -0400

On Aug 25, 2016, at 10:30 PM, Thomas Huth wrote:

On 25.08.2016 18:55, G 3 wrote:

On Aug 25, 2016, at 6:03 PM, Thomas Huth wrote:

On 25.08.2016 14:54, G 3 wrote:
I'm chasing down a bug with QEMU that causes audio to fail on a Mac OS
guest. In this file:
https://github.com/nixxcode/AppleUSBAudio-273.4.1/blob/master/ AppleUSBAudioClip.cpp

is where a lot of assembly language code is located. I think one or more of the PowerPC instructions might be incorrectly implemented so I am checking each one that the file uses. Starting with lwbrx I made this program that gives this instruction sample inputs and checks them with real outputs. According to the program QEMU implements this instruction correctly. Does this program effectively check the lwbrx instruction or
is it missing something?
    // Go thru each rA value
    for(rA = 0; rA <=12; rA=rA+4)
    {
        // set the correct answer array for each rA value
        if(rA == 0)
            answer_array = answer_array0;
        else if(rA == 4)
            answer_array = answer_array4;
        else if(rA == 8)
            answer_array = answer_array8;
        else
            answer_array = answer_array12;

        // Go thru each rB value
        for(index = 0; index < rB_size; index++)
        {
asm volatile("lwbrx %0, %1, %2" : "=r" (result) : "b %" (rA),
"r" (&(rB[index])));

I think you're not testing the case where rA is r0 here (only where the
content of rA is 0) ... and rA == r0 is a special case for this
instruction, see the PowerISA for details. So you'd need a separate asm
volatile statement to test this.
(Also a question: What is the "%" here good for? I did not quite
understand why you're using that here)

 Thomas

Thank you very much for commenting. For the case where rA is r0, are you
saying something like this:

asm volatile("lwbrx %0, 0, %1" : "=r" (result) : "r" (&(rB [index])));

Yes, this is what I had in mind.

Didn't find the text 'r0' here, but it did mention this:
"If GPR RA is 0, then the EA is the contents of GPR RB". Is that the
same thing?

Yes, I am normally using "r0" instead of "0" so that it can not be
confused that easily with an immediate value.

By the way, if you don't know it yet, you can get the official Power ISA
here:

https://www.power.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/ PowerISA_V2.07_PUBLIC.pdf

The percent is for me to quickly see if any of the test failed. QEMU is
at 100% for this test.

I didn't mean the printf statement, but the % character in the "b%" part
of the asm volatile statement.

That is something that I copied from Apple's source code I am working on.