qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] device crash test -- isa-fdc on ppc64/powernv

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] device crash test -- isa-fdc on ppc64/powernv
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 04:31:40 +0200

On 09.10.2017 21:50, John Snow wrote:
> Hi Thomas, I'm not particularly familiar with the various PPC flavors,
> so please forgive me:
>
> Apparently isa-fdc fails to instantiate on powernv (which appears to
> have an ISA bus) because through one way or another, we never call:
>
> isa_bus_dma, invoked by
> DMA_init, invoked by, seemingly usually,
> - i82374_realize in hw/dma/i82374.c
>
> by comparison, the prep board appears to use the i82378 which in turn
> uses the 82374 which is how we get our ISA DMA initialization.
>
> pnv doesn't seem to have a DMA device on its ISA bus.
>
> Should the powernv board be initializing something like this, or is it
> more correct to just disable the isa-fdc device for this board for now
> and be done with it?

I don't know the powernv board very well, but maybe Cédric could answer
that question.

For reference, I assume you're talking about this crash here:

qemu-system-ppc64 -M powernv -device isa-fdc
qemu-system-ppc64: hw/block/fdc.c:2703: isabus_fdc_realize: Assertion
`fdctrl->dma' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

?

IIRC Eduardo also posted a patch for that one already, not sure about
the current status, though.

 Thomas