qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] PowerPC, enable-kvm, and the Power processor

From: Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] PowerPC, enable-kvm, and the Power processor
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 08:08:05 +0100

On 21/06/18 06:12, luigi burdo wrote:

hi just for gave a complete infos about this point.
this is x64 threadripper with mac99 emulation in qemu vs qemu kvm on 970Mp 2.5
ghz (mac quad)
https://scontent.fnap1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/27540591_10211001296249952_3934778983080779619_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=523c1f6cddb62032b5879224613d210d&oe=5BBE5122

the qemu kvm is really slow compared mac-on-linux kvm, same is for sheepshaver.
on same benchmark speed is near 75 points on cpu on MOL and 95 (near the host
cpu) on sheepshaver.
fpu performances is really low about 90% slower than the host on qemu in kvm.

The floating point issue is known, but I would expect QEMU KVM to be closer to MOL. I'm fairly sure I remember Alex saying the MOL has some extra optimisations compared to QEMU but I don't have any further details as to exactly what they are.

ATB,

Mark.