qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] [PULL 0/2] ppc-for-3.0 queue 20180801

From: David Gibson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] [PULL 0/2] ppc-for-3.0 queue 20180801
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2018 17:08:24 +1000

On Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 02:04:04PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 1 August 2018 at 12:24, BALATON Zoltan <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Wed, 1 Aug 2018, Peter Maydell wrote:
> >> So, we've just put out rc3, which in an ideal world is our
> >> final release candidate for 3.0. Are these bugs regressions from
> >> 2.12 ?
> >

> > I don't know about the macio one but the sam460ex PCI interrupts were broken
> > in 2.12 too. However it's a fix for a device only used in sam460ex which is
> > now fixed by this patch so including it is not high risk for breaking
> > anything else than sam460ex which is known to be not finished yet so I would
> > not worry too much. But which is better? Releasing 3.0 with a known bug or
> > including this fix without an rc4?
>
> The problem with continuing to delay 3.0 while we have known bugs
> is that bugs generally come in at an even rate, so we *always*
> have known bugs, and so "we found another bug, let's delay 3.0
> again to put in a fix for it" is a recipe for never doing a release.
> That's why we gradually wind up the bar for "should this go in",
> from "any bug" to "regressions" to "really really serious showstopper
> regressions".
>
> We never do a final release without a last rc (it is too risky),
> so that is not an option.

Ugh, sorry about this.  I made an off-by-one error in my mental
calculation of whether it would be ok to include non-regression
bugfixes aet this point.  Also, I originally meant to send this before
the last -rc, but stuff happened.

So, the sam460 fix is, indeed, not a regression and I'm happy to punt
it to 3.1.

The macio fix, however, *is* a regression from 2.12.  Whether it's
severe enough to warrant another -rc, I'm not sure.  It is a bad
pointer access which is, well, bad.  It doesn't seem to bite
obviously, needing valgrind to pick it up, but possibly that's just
luck.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson