qemu-s390x

Re: [qemu-s390x] network on linux qemu

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: [qemu-s390x] network on linux qemu
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 11:58:48 +0200

On 27.04.2018 08:45, Paulo Matos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to debug a bug report on a software I work on that's not
> compiling on s390x. Since I have no access to a machine I thought I
> could emulate it in qemu.
>
> I have installed qemu-s390x on my F27 machine and downloaded the debian
> images here:
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-s390x/current/images/generic/
>
> Then I ran:
> qemu-system-s390x -M s390-ccw-virtio -kernel ~/Downloads/kernel.debian
> -initrd ~/Downloads/initrd.debian -m 512 -nographic
>
> I was quite surprised that it enters some sort of installation procedure
> instead of giving me a shell I can work on -- but then again I have
> never really used qemu before.

 Hi,

those debian kernel and initrd are the ones that are used for installing
Debian - they do not provide a fully installed environment with gcc etc.
So you first need to create a hard disk image (with qemu-img for
example) and then install the distro into that image.

In case you'd like to try Fedora instead, I've got some instructions for
this here:

http://people.redhat.com/~thuth/blog/qemu/2017/12/19/install-fedora.html

You just have to make sure to use the latest version 2.12 of QEMU (older
versions won't work) and then omit the "-M accel=kvm" when running
qemu-system-s390x.

 HTH,
  Thomas