[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [qemu-s390x] [Qemu-devel] [PATCH RFCv2 0/9] qdev: Hotplug handler ch
Re: [qemu-s390x] [Qemu-devel] [PATCH RFCv2 0/9] qdev: Hotplug handler chaining + virtio-pmem
Mon, 28 Jan 2019 15:22:49 +0100
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/60.3.1
On 28.01.19 15:18, Igor Mammedov wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 20:55:18 +0100
> David Hildenbrand <address@hidden> wrote:
>> This series implements supprt for hotplug handler chaining (proposed
>> by Igor), something that is necessary to turn selected virtio devices into
>> memory devices. Planned devices inlude virtio-mem and virtio-pmem. The
>> current prototype of virtio-pmem is included.
>> The machine hotplug handler can intercept hotplug handler calls
>> to properly prepare/teardown the memory device part of a device. Control
>> is then passed on to the actual bus hotplug handler. So the default hotplug
>> handler is effectively overwritten to make interception possible.
>> It is based on the following patches/series
>> - [PATCH v1] pc: Use hotplug_handler_(plug|unplug|unplug_request)
>> -- Queued by Paolo
>> - [PATCH v3 0/2] s390x/pci: hotplug handler fixes and reworks
>> Patch 1-3 are the preparations for hotplug handler chaining.
> we probably should merge this ones even without pmem patches.
Sounds good to me. I'll do more testing.
>> The remaining patches are a modified prototype of virtio-pmem.
> I'm not sure yet that virtio-pmem should be merged.
> Initial goal for fake pmem was to eliminate page-cache in guest
> so that only host will have it and cached pages could be shared
> between several guest.
> However recently (if I read kernel driver thread right),
> sharing is to be disabled due to security implication and then
> only dropping page cache on one side is left, which could be done
> using existing frontends/backends (disabling caching on host side).
Yes, we should at least wait for the kernel part to settle. Anyhow, I
will base my virtio-mem work on this in a very similar fashion!
David / dhildenb
- [qemu-s390x] [PATCH RFCv2 2/9] qdev: Let machine hotplug handler to override bus hotplug handler, (continued)
- [qemu-s390x] [PATCH RFCv2 2/9] qdev: Let machine hotplug handler to override bus hotplug handler, David Hildenbrand, 2019/01/23
- [qemu-s390x] [PATCH RFCv2 4/9] virtio-pmem: Prototype, David Hildenbrand, 2019/01/23
- [qemu-s390x] [PATCH RFCv2 3/9] qdev: Provide qdev_get_bus_hotplug_handler(), David Hildenbrand, 2019/01/23
- [qemu-s390x] [PATCH RFCv2 1/9] qdev: Let the hotplug_handler_unplug() caller delete the device, David Hildenbrand, 2019/01/23
- Re: [qemu-s390x] [Qemu-devel] [PATCH RFCv2 0/9] qdev: Hotplug handler chaining + virtio-pmem, Igor Mammedov, 2019/01/28