qpimd-users

Re: [qpimd-users] Some clarification about qpimd

From: Everton Marques
Subject: Re: [qpimd-users] Some clarification about qpimd
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 18:30:16 -0200

Hi Saurabh,

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:23 AM, saurabh <address@hidden> wrote:

> 1)      Can my qpim based router provide its subnet client to be members
> Of any multicast groups and get multicast data from them…

Usually plain PIM "multicast" means PIM-SM providing ASM service,
where receivers use IGMPv1/v2 to join an any-source group like
239.1.1.1. qpimd is unable to handle any-source groups. Since qpimd
only supports the SSM model, the receiver application is required to
use IGMPv3 to join a source-specific channel like
(S,G)=(1.1.1.1,232.1.1.1).

> 2)      Will it be in compient with any other PIM-SM routers… in multiple
> router combinations…

It will operate correctly with full PIM-SM routers, however only for
delivering the SSM service. Full PIM-SM routers are able to handle the
SSM service model.

> 3)      Will subnet’s PC node applications  under qpimd router, able to see
> stream media , Nasdaq live
>
> (Any sort of Muticast services.. or some obstacles due to not supporting
> PIM-SM or IGMP1 and 2)

IGMPv3 on the receiver application is required for qpimd. The
application must be able to issue an IGMPv3 join to a source-specific
(S,G) channel.

I think the major issue usually is the receiver application ability to
issue IGMPv3 source-specific joins to (S,G). If your application can't
issue an IGMPv3 source-specific join, qpimd won't help you.

Cheers,
Everton