qpimd-users

Re: [qpimd-users] Installing QPIMD

From: Everton Marques
Subject: Re: [qpimd-users] Installing QPIMD
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 14:01:36 -0300

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Tom M <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2011/08/18 11:55:32 PIM: Can't create pid lock file /var/run/pimd.pid
> (Permission denied), exiting
> Any idea on what I'm doing wrong?

The qpimd process lacks permission to create /var/run/pimd.pid.
You can work-around this by supplying a different location with the -i
command-line
switch. For instance:
/usr/local/quagga/sbin/pimd -i /tmp/pimd.pid
Though I guess the easiest way is to launch the pimd daemon as user root.

> Are there any more detailed tutorials out there on using Quagga with qpimd?

AFAIK, no.

Since pimd is a Quagga daemon, the basic usage is pretty similar to
other Quagga modules.

A quick-and-dirty start guide for SSM with qpimd would look like this:
1) Make sure your UNICAST routing is functional between your multicast
source and receiver.
2) Make sure your zebra daemons know the correct UNICAST routes
towards the multicast source (S).
3) Get pimd up and running on all PIM routers.
4) Telnet to port 2611 of every PIM router to configure pimd.
5) Enable "ip pim ssm" on all available interfaces.
6) Enable "ip igmp" on interfaces attached to receivers.
7) Make sure your source (S) is streaming multicast to multicast group G.
8) Make sure your source (S) is issuing multicast packets with a
high-enough TTL to reach receivers.
9) Tell you receiver to start receiving from the correct channel (S,G).
10) If things are not working as expected, you should follow the
directions suggested in this post:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qpimd-users/2009-04/msg00006.html

> Is qpimd still being worked on?

Since the current state is sufficient for my own SSM needs, and there
is not much time left for further heavy work, I currently perform only
resync with Quagga tree and am willing to fix defects. I don't plan to
add new features. Of course will merge contributions. :-)

> How complete is the current version?

It can fully perform the PIM SSM service model (including router-side IGMPv3).
There are some known issues documented in the file pimd/CAVEATS.

> Any good overviews of what PIM-SSM is that isn't a super technical paper?

Sorry, I'm unaware of any.

Best regards,
Everton