quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] Quilt support for binary files

From: Mitch Davis
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Quilt support for binary files
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 12:17:59 +1100

On 1/25/07, Dirk Jagdmann <address@hidden> wrote:
We could introduce an option for the "new" command to specifiy a new patch in
binary format.
This patch could then be handled by xdelta.

At the moment, my code can handle a patch that's an arbitrary mix of
binary and regular patches (because one functional patch may need both
kinds).  Is it a helpful simplification to say that a given patch be
only binary or regular?  It loses the functional grouping but may make
the code easier.

At the moment I'm ASCIIifying the xdelta output.  If we don't mix
binary and regular style in the same patch, maybe we don't need to
bother with the ASCIIification.  Binary patches in $QUILT_PATCHES
would just be compressed xdeltas.  (You'd then send and receive a mix
of patches and compressed xdelta to/from your upstream and
downstream).

Hmm.

Mitch.