quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] splitting a patch/series

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] splitting a patch/series
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 18:16:50 +0100

On Wednesday, 29 October 2008 18:22:29 Tim Bird wrote:
> Randy Dunlap wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a good (or typical) way to split a patch into 2 patches
> > (in a series)?
> >
> > Given series:
> > fix1.patch  # patches file: test1.c
> >
> > I want parts of fix1.patch in a new patch (fix2.patch).
> > test1.c is the only source file in these patches.
> >
> > I'll need to edit parts of fix1 and fix2 concurrently...
> > Well, that seems to be the easiest way to do this, but maybe
> > that's not allowed.
> >
> > How should I go about this?
>
> I'm not sure what the best way to do this is, but I
> use:
>  * "quilt fork" - make a duplicate of the patch in the series file
>  * "quilt pop" - pop the new patch off the series file
>  * edit patches/series to include both patches
>  * edit patches/fix1.patch to remove parts that I only want in fix2
>  * edit patches/fix2.patch to remove parts that I only want in fix1
> If the patch chunks for the different parts don't overlap, then
> this is relatively easy.  You can just remove whole chunks
> from each patch.  Otherwise, just do the best you can, and
> when pushing, resolve conflicts in the fix2.patch
>  * "quilt push" - to push fix1
>  * "quilt push" - to push fix2
> If there are conflicts remaining between stuff in fix1 and fix2,
> resolve them and refresh.

I sometimes use a variant of this that may be more "fool proof" (I
need^Wprefer that): I start an new patch *before* the patch I want to split,
pull all the changes I want to split from the second patch into the first
one, and then I prepend a "quilt diff -R" to the following patch. Then I
push, and "quilt diff" shows me the remainder. Once satisfied, I do a "quilt
refresh".

I'm sure this could be automated and improved further, but splitting patches
never annoyed me enough to actually work on this.

Andreas