quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] Can Quilt patch be created after file edits (say from sv

From: Harippriya Sivapatham
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Can Quilt patch be created after file edits (say from svn diff)
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 00:33:06 -0600

Hi Andreas,

I did more research and quilt seems to have a specific directory structure (.pc dir and such). I did not find any tool that could create the patch in such a way that quilt could use it or a way to integrate quilt with external tools. So, what tool did you have in mind? Any pointers would be very helpful.

Thanks

Hari

>>> "Harippriya Sivapatham" <address@hidden> 8/31/2012 9:06 AM >>>

Thanks Andreas.

> "You can always create a patch with some other tool and then manage it with quilt if that makes things easier for you."

This would be perfect. This is what I have been searching for. Any pointers/links to show how this could be done?

thanks again for taking the time to help out.

Regards

Hari

>>> Andreas Grünbacher<address@hidden> 8/30/2012 5:50 PM >>>
Hari,

2012/8/30 Harippriya Sivapatham <address@hidden>:
> I am evaluating Quilt to manage the patches that we occasionally create for
> specific customer issues. It appears that a file must be added to quilt
> patch before it is edited. I am afraid that some developer might forget this
> quilt step and simply go ahead and make his changes, which would result in
> incomplete patches. It looks like all developers in our team must learn this
> new discipline. Is there a way around this? I can think of manual ways to
> make sure that the patch file is complete, but I am looking for an automated
> solution. Something like 'make all the changes, create an svn diff and then
> create the quilt patch based on that diff'? Some way to make it fool proof
> would help.

There's a 'quilt edit' command which adds files and then invokes the editor.

Quilt is not a version control system and doesn't track the entire
source tree, so if you change files before adding them, it has no way
of knowing what the original file contents were. You can always create
a patch with some other tool and then manage it with quilt if that
makes things easier for you.

Andreas