quilt-dev

[Quilt-dev] support for binary content in quilt patches, 2007 list discu

From: Miguel Telleria de Esteban
Subject: [Quilt-dev] support for binary content in quilt patches, 2007 list discussion
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:17:26 +0100

Dear all,

With the danger of sounding recurrent (since this question was asked
before and probably more than once) I would like to ask the status of
support binary content in patch files.

Searching in the list I came up with this proposal, back in 2007.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/quilt-dev/2007-01/msg00001.html

I guess that was a proof-of-concept but I don't know if it went
any further, did it?.

My motivation as a possible use-case:

Packaging in Debian with git-buildpackage and using its gbp-pq tool
results in patches generated by git being applied by quilt in a nice
seamless way.

However I came up with an upstream commit that I wanted to backport and
which contained a .png icon.  Even if the icon is present in the
git-generated patch (in git's binary enconding format), it is ignored by
quilt when applying the patches.

So it would be nice if quilt could handle or at least detect that
binary chunk and apply it (or have git apply it with git-apply).

Could a feature like this ever be considered?

Thanks for your attention,

        Miguel Telleria

--

      (O-O)