quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] RFC: quilt pop and read-only files

From: Kaz Kylheku
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] RFC: quilt pop and read-only files
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 15:03:56 -0800

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 09:30:42 -0500, Benjamin Poirier <address@hidden>
wrote:
>       $ quilt pop
>       Patch patches/demo does not remove cleanly (refresh it or enforce with
> -f)
>
> The first problem is here. This message is misleading, in fact we are in the
> case "Failed to patch temporary files", the output from patch was:
> "File file is read-only; refusing to patch
> 1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file file.rej"

Really?

quilt pop should not be patching anything. It should be
restoring the original file (inode object) from the .pc/
directory, by manipulation of hard links.

When you pop that patch off, the behavior I would expect that you
should have the original file object, with the same modification
timestamp and inode number.

This could be some regression from "how it is supposed to work".