Re: [RP] merged 0.1.1 into trunk

From: shawn
Subject: Re: [RP] merged 0.1.1 into trunk
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:17:09 -0800

>> You'll also notice that there is only one ChangeLog now.
>
>I thought it was nice that the toplevel ChangeLog talked about things
>to do with the build system and the one in src talked about things to
>do with the src.  Now they are mixed together and C-x4a in the src
>directory is broken (I think that can be configured.).  The other
>problem is that now, when writing log entries from src into
>../ChangeLog, the files will be described as "src/actions.c" and so
>on, while all of the older entries say "actions.c".  Perhaps there is
>a good reason to have only one ChangeLog file that I am missing
>though.

I found that most of the time when reading the changelog I had to read
both to get an idea of what changed. This was somewhat irritating. It
also made it difficult to put the changes to src in context with the
changes with the build system (chronologically). doc/ didn't have a
changelog and as a result changes to files there were being put in the
root changelog. This was inconsistent. I had 2 choices: put a
changelog in doc/ or glob them all into one. I figured ratpoison was
not going to balloon in scope much more and decided that a single
changelog would be appropriate.

I do however see the advantages of seperating the changelogs.

The GNU Coding Standard leaves the choice of multiple changelogs or a
single changlog up to the maintainers (bastards!). I chose a single
changelog.

As for the file problem (src/actions.c vs actions.c) a simple regexp
can solve that...

Its not hard to switch it back. Perhaps there are canonical examples
of multiple changelogs and single changelogs we can use as guidance?