Re: [RP] off topic: xinerama

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [RP] off topic: xinerama
Date: Fri May 9 14:54:11 2003

twb <address@hidden> writes:

> now some devel talk:
> It seems that RP treats a xinerama screen no different.  I think the
> best way for it to work would be to automatically divide into heads on
> start.  Dead panes (when screens are unequal height/width) need to be
> marked so stuff doesn't get dropped there.  Normal screen division
> doesn't affect the head-panes; you can turn head-panes on or off with h-
> p-on and h-p-off.  You also need to be able to switch head pane, like
> nextscreen() now.

I don't know if this works since I don't have a xinerama setup, but I
would imagine it *should* work:

Since you can use frestore to give ratpoison a list of frames, you can
customize these frames and infact make overlapping frames and frames
that exist outside the screen. While this doesn't seem useful, one
thing you *could* do is use this machanicsm to create 2 frames, 1 for
the first monitor and 1 for the second monitor.

(this is all based on my near 0 knowledge of xinerama)

So, as an example, say you have a 640x480 screen to the left of your
1024x768 monitor and you want rp to work with them so you don't get
dead space. You could run the following to divide rp into 2 frames
that fit these monitors:

ratpoison -c "frestore 0 0 0 640 480 0 1,1 640 0 1664 768 0 0"

In general you would do:

ratpoison -c "frestore 0 0 0 w1 h1 0 1,1 w1 0 w1+w2 h2 0 0"

where w1xh2 is the dimensions of your left monitor and w2xh2 is the
dimensions of right monitor.

This will give you two empty frames in each monitor (if I understand
things correctly).

I encourage you to experiment, since I can't :).

Shawn