Re: [RP] tab-completions-'r'-us

From: Rupert Levene
Subject: Re: [RP] tab-completions-'r'-us
Date: Sun May 25 14:56:02 2003

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 08:40:31PM +0200, Björn Lindström wrote:
> Rupert Levene <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > The exec prompt also gets completions by invoking bash, which is
> > nice nice nice.
>
> I would add a nice (nice -1?) if it invoked $SHELL instead. Or is this
> some bash specific feature?

All you need is some program that takes a string-to-be-completed and
spits out all the completions, one on each line, on standard
output. My bash can be made to do this but I don't know in advance
whether $SHELL can or what options to pass it. It would be nice to be
able to configure which program provides the completions; at the
moment it's another of those compile-time configurable things,
provided you know where to look.

By the way, you need bash-2.04-alpha1 or later to get the 'compgen'
builtin that I'm using. Interestingly zsh claims to have compgen too,
although being a zsh ignoramus I have no idea how to use it.

Rupert