Re: [RP] mozilla's acrobat bindings freezer

From: John Meacham
Subject: Re: [RP] mozilla's acrobat bindings freezer
Date: Fri Apr 2 14:13:02 2004

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 11:00:39PM -0800, Shawn Betts wrote:
> twb <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Quoth address@hidden (Ivan Beschastnikh) on or about Mon, 29 Mar 2004
> > 18:56:42 -0600:
> >
> > >Don't know if this can be helped but when mozilla (1.5) launches it's
> > >own little acrobat session inside the mozilla window, ratpoison's
> > >native keybindings are eaten up and nothing gets passed, however this
> > >is only true as long as the pointer is within the acrobat window -
> > >when i move it out to the address bar or wherever outside the acrobat
> > >subwindow, ratpoison responds alright, any clues? I would run gv or
> > >acroread externally but this setup is convenient.
> >
> > It can be helped, but not by us.  It requires changes to code in
> > Mozilla or, more likely, in Acrobat.  I have noticed it with the Flash
> > viewer, too.  You can file a bug report with mozilla, but it's
> > unlikely they'll do anything to suit the rat-poisoning minority, since
> > it'll probably require substantial redesign / recoding.
>
> Right now ratpoison only grabs the key on the top level
> window. Perhaps it just needs to grab the key on ALL the windows. Of
> course, if they go and grab the keyboard then I don't think there's
> much we can do.

yeah, I *think* what is happening is that rather than using standard
focus setting, the plugins do an XGrabKeyboard and XUngrabKeyboard on
Enter/Leave notifys. I am not sure why they would do this, perhaps some
infelicity in the netscape/mozilla plugin spec which keeps normal window
focus from working properly. it is not too surprising, working out the
details of keyboard focus when dealing with embedded applications is
tricky.
        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈