Re: [RP] new commands putsel and getsel

From: Trent Buck
Subject: Re: [RP] new commands putsel and getsel
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 20:43:27 +1100

Up spake Joe Corneli:
>> DISPLAY=... ratpoison -c getsel

Is this a bashism?  I've had trouble doing
  VAR=value command

in the past.  This *always* works, AFAIK
  (VAR=value; export VAR; command)

> How do I know what ... is supposed to be?

Worked example follows.

I have two machines, "rocinante" and "sancho".  I am sitting in front of
an X session on sancho, running ratpoison.  I have a shell on rocinante
(via SSH) in an xterm.

In the xterm, I can run "ratpoison -d sancho:0 -c FOO" to talk to the
local display.  But if sancho is configured securely, it will ignore
remote X clients.  I can modify permissions with the "xhost" program.

A better technique is to open a SSH connection with the "-X" option.
This allows X clients to tunnel through the SSH connection.  Since it
also sets the DISPLAY variable, I can then simply say "ratpoison -c FOO"
to talk to my X session on sancho.  I have to start emacs with "-nw" to
prevent it using the X tunnel.

--
-trent
God created sex.  Priests created marriage. -- Voltaire