Re: [RP] Embedded scripting

From: Nikolai Weibull
Subject: Re: [RP] Embedded scripting
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 20:35:01 +0100

On 1/29/07, Christian Stucchio <address@hidden> wrote:

Has anyone considered embedding a scripting language directly into
ratpoison? This would be an improvement over shell scripts, especially
if one wants to maintain complicated state (a data structure, not
simply a variable) between script executions.

I think the general opinion so far has been that ratpoison should
remain as clean as possible.  However, opinions change, and having a
scripting interface certainly has its uses.

I've been thinking of writing a very small library that exposes enough
of X11 so that it can be used by a WM written mostly in Ruby.  I've
contemplated doing stuff like using FUSE to create a filesystem like
Plan9's, that maps windows to files and so on.  It all sounds very
exciting in my head, but I've thus far realized that I have enough
stuff to write without writing my own WM.  And ratpoison really serves
me well.

Now if someone could just help me figure out how to get window titles
to be reported in UTF-8 instead of latin-1, I'd be all set.

 nikolai