Re: [RP] Getting ratbar to work

From: Kipling Inscore
Subject: Re: [RP] Getting ratbar to work
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 18:47:26 -0800

On 11/25/07, Nathan Huesken <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am trying to get ratbar to work.

This is http://xenotrout.com/prog/ratbar/ratbar.pl
A script I wrote way back and didn't think to submit for inclusion in contrib.
This probably isn't the "correct" place for ratbar support...

> I downloaded the ratbar.pl file and made it executable. It is comlaining
> that it does not find Gtk.pm!
> I am under gentoo -> emerge gtk2-perl
> No help.
> I renamed every occurance of ¨Gtk¨ to ¨Gtk2¨ in the ratbar.pl file.
> But I had to make some more changes:
>
> Comment out Line 74:
> #window->border_width(0);
>
> I guess that is not really needed!
I don't like window borders is all.

> Comment out Line 78:
> #Gtk2->timeout_add(500,\&idle);
>
> This does not sound good, but I do not know what timeout_add is replaced
> with in Gtk2.
> Anyhow, I tried it:
>
> C-t : unmanage ratbar.pl
> ./ratbar.pl
>
> The menu is appearing! But no window list :(
> Is this because of the missing timeout?

Yep. Precisely that.
Looks like timeout_add has been replaced by
Glib::Timeout->add
but it seems that this is not recommended, so
Gtk2->main_iteration should be used in a loop with idle, which isn't
defined on line 79...
I've done some cleanup and update. Fixed some of the hacks I shouldn't
have used in the first place...but I think the script is still a bit
messy.
One issue I haven't yet fixed (and may not since I don't use ratbar
myself anymore) is that the GTK2 version only refreshes on focus in or
out, which makes it pretty much useless.
http://xenotrout.com/prog/ratbar/ratbar2.pl
If you don't want to fix the GTK2 version, emerge g-cpan and run
"g-cpan -i gtk".