Re: [RP] ratpoison-1.4.4 history

From: Bernhard R. Link
Subject: Re: [RP] ratpoison-1.4.4 history
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 19:08:46 +0200

* Grigorios Bouzakis <address@hidden> [090428 17:30]:
> Well, is that the way it's suposed to work?
> The --disable-history option doesnt make sense if history is kept no
> matter what.

Said shortly:

readline's libhistory is no longer needed to have a history, but for
libhistory's events and designators.

Said not so shortly:

ratpoison now has a built-in basic history handling (mostly due to
enable having different histories for different things[1]).

This new history handling supports almost everything the one did without
libhistory, except history expansion.

With the old code, you could do:

C-t :echo hallo
C-t :echo !!

and it was equivalent to entering

C-t :echo hallo
C-t :echo echo hallo

you can also do more complex things like

C-t :echo bla
C-t :^a^ub^

which is equivalent to

C-t :echo bla
C-t :echo blub

and all the other things in (history.info.gz)History Interaction.

With the new history code, this is disable by default, but you can get
it back with

C-t :set historyexpansion 1

which will reenable that feature when ratpoison was compiled with
libhistory[2], and output an error if ratpoison was compiled without
libhistory.

Hochachtungsvoll,
        Bernhard R. Link

[1] see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=478977
[2] as implementing all those things like "!fi:2" meaning
"the second argument of the most recent command starting with the
letters `fi'" is already implemented there and I doubt anyone actually
uses it.