[RP] Re: Ratpoison idle hook?

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: [RP] Re: Ratpoison idle hook?
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 22:24:45 -0800

2010/1/1 Andy Valencia <address@hidden>:
> --------
> [Shawn Betts <address@hidden> writes:]
>
>> > Have you thought about screen's "idle" and "lock" functions?  I use
>> > Ratpoison as my regular window manager, but I'd really like to have the
>> > screen lock after it's been left idle for a while.
>> Doesn't xscreensaver, xlock do this automagically? I suppose it
>> wouldn't hurt to have such a thing. If anyone has a patch I'll stick
>> it in the repo.
>
> Yes, I'm just setting up xscreensaver tonight. :->
>
> But in the vein of "less is more", it'd be cool if the very most
> basic level (idle time X, lock w. password) was just a couple K of
> code in ratpoison rather than ~2.5M physical, ~5M virtual for
> xscreensaver.

Yes xlock is probably bigger than it has to be but it doesn't seem
right to put such specialized code into ratpoison. But don't let that
stop you from writing a tiny X app that sleeps while no keyboard
events come in, blanks the screen, grabs the keyboard, and waits for
the password. I imagine it'd be about 100 lines! I wouldn't have a
problem with putting that in contrib/.

-Shawn