Re: [RP] how can I display the current song of bongo player (emacs) in R

From: CSM 'illovae' Seldon
Subject: Re: [RP] how can I display the current song of bongo player (emacs) in RP's bar?
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:13:23 +0200

Hey Memnon,

First, thanks for the reply :)

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 11:56:37AM +0200, Memnon Anon wrote :
> > The trick is I decided to use the function bongo-show which is used to
> > display in the minibuffer the title of the song while you actually play
> > it. When you play foobar, it display /foobar/ in minibuffer so why add
> > something to display /foobar/ too in my RP's bar ?
>
> I don't think it is a good idea to modify bongo-show directly.
> Next time the code gets updated, you'll have to do it all over again.
> AFAIK, thats what hooks are for: Modifying the program at certain well
> defined points.

You're right. Actually, at first time, I tried to use hooks when I saw
the possibility available via M-x customize-group bongo, without any
success.

> I do not use bongo, but I downloaded it and played around a bit.

Wohw, thank you for that :)

> This is what I came up with:

> (add-hook 'bongo-player-started-hook
>      (lambda ()
>        (let (message command))
>        (with-bongo-playlist-buffer
>          (setq message (bongo-format-infoset (bongo-player-infoset player)))
>;         (setq my-message (bongo-format-infoset (bongo-player-infoset
>player)))
>          (setq command (concat "ratpoison -c 'echo " message "'"))
>          (start-process-shell-command "FixMe" nil command))))
>
> Just start bongo, eval this in your *scratch* buffer and give it a try.
> I only did some quick testing, it can very well not work as you
> expected.

Hah, my gosh, that work perfectly well, as I expected, it's awesome =)

But, if I can say and for the records, I found a typo in that hook when
I tried it. For the persons who read that, you have to correct
/my-message/ to /message/ [line 5].  The hook up there is already
corrected (the line with the typo is commented and can be deleted) so it
can be use as it :)

Memnon, again thank you very very much, it's perfect for me. I'm going
to create a new page about that on the RP's wiki and add these lines for
others users :)

-- illovae.

PS: by the way, what are you using to get the /cut here/ thing for your
code please ? Thanks by advance.

--
CSM 'illovae' Seldon                 druuna (at) dud-t.org |