Re: [RP] execf not working

From: Axel Beckert
Subject: Re: [RP] execf not working
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 01:37:54 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 01:30:38AM +0100, Kelly Collier wrote:
> I've got my screen split into two frames, 0 and 1. Say I have an xterm
> in frame 0. In that xterm, I type
>
> ratpoison -c "execf 1 xterm"
>
> Things run as planned: A new xterm is opened in frame 1. However, if I
> try with a heavier-duty program, say, chromium...
>
> ratpoison -c "execf 1 chromium-browser"
>
> ... chromium opens in the current frame, frame 0.

Chromium is special as the thing we regards as one window (with
strange, application specific titlebar) is in reality one window per
tab AFAIK, just handled to look like one window by the application
itself. Maybe this confuses ratpoison?

OTOH I used Chromium with ratpoison once or twice, too, and didn't
notice any strange issues. But I don't use ratpoison's execf either.

                Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | address@hidden  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.asciiribbon.org/              | address@hidden (Mail+Jabber)
/ \  I love long mails: http://email.is-not-s.ms/ | http://noone.org/abe/ (Web)