Re: [RP] Proposals: Cyrillic support and pop-ups handling

From: Ingo Krabbe
Subject: Re: [RP] Proposals: Cyrillic support and pop-ups handling
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:28:52 +0200

On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 10:14:42AM -0700, Shawn Betts wrote:
> > Actually xkb is just the XServer configuration library to handle keyboard
> > devices and not subject to ratpoison. Handling composed characters is
> > subject to Input Methods. But I don't know an implementation that is
> > usefull or widely accepted. Actually input methods are handled differently
> > for the different toolkits, we don't want to use in ratpoison's development.
>
> There are special XKB functions that you use to decode a keyboard
> event. We can probably just rip off the XKB code in emacs or another
> XKB enabled program. I bet it's all pretty similar. I know there are
> special programs you can run to do international input methods but I
> don't know anything about them. It'd be nice to be able to have them
> work with ratpoison. That may just be a matter of supporting XKB.
> That'd be nice.

Yes, that would be nice, but it isn't. Out there in the wild exist tenth of
composing strategies, while (confirmed by a talk at #xorg on irc.freenode.net)
the x server methods themselves, dealing with input methods are out of date.

Input methods are implemented by higher level libraries as qt, gtk+, gnome and
kde.
There exist a project for posix systems, that applies to a bit lower level,
named scim. But that's a C++ project and as such is disqualified for me.

I also found uim, that might be worth looking at http://code.google.com/p/uim/.

But actually we should first care about stable font output management.

regards, ingo