Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Weird FAT/NTFS timestamps

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Weird FAT/NTFS timestamps
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 09:50:36 -0800

  GF> All, I just read an e-mail where Windows keeps all filesystem
  GF> file timestamps in local time.

  GF> This means that when DST (Daylight Savings Time) kicks in/out,
  GF> the date/time for all files on your disk are changed by 1 hour.

  GF> Apparently this causes rsync problems if you are not using the
  GF> --checksum option.

  GF> Are there any rdiff-backup gotcha's along the same lines?

I just saw that there were a lot of messages on the rsync list about
this, but I don't know what the upshot is.  rdiff-backup just compares
the times returned by lstat, which are supposed to be in seconds since
the epoch I think.

I'm not sure how this would result in a problem.  Maybe if the switch
to daylight savings, an rdiff-backup session, and a file update
happened within the same hour, and the file was updated exactly an
hour after the first update, then the new version wouldn't be backed
up?

--
Ben Escoto