Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Missing files after rdiff-backup

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Missing files after rdiff-backup
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:07:20 -0700

  WM>   Hi.  I'm using rdiff-backup to backup a filesystem of a little
  WM> over 5 million files.  Running a find script and then comparing
  WM> differences I note that just over two hundred files didn't make
  WM> it over.
  WM> System information ------------------ o server is a redhat linux
  WM> box running the 2.4.9-34 kernel o backing up a netapp unix-style
  WM> filesystem, mounted over nfs o using rdiff-backup 0.12.0 o using
  WM> librsync-0.9.5.tar.gz

I'm guessing it is an nfs problem.  It seems lots of people run into
errors backup up onto an nfs filesystem (sessions seem to crash in the
middle).  rdiff-backup is less demanding of the source directory, but
probably missing files is the symptom.  Were there any error messages
or warnings?

Also, have you tried running rdiff-backup again?  I wonder if another
random collection of files wouldn't be updated, or there would be a
problem with the same ones.

  WM>   A particularly odd example of files that weren't copied over
  WM> are one of our dump directories.
  WM>   Here's how it looks on the original filesystem:

I'm not sure I understand this listing.  Did you edit out the file
names?  If there are multiple files with the same name in the same
directory, rdiff-backup will complain and only back one of them up I
think.

--
Ben Escoto