[rdiff-backup-users] Large File Issues

From: Paul Green
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Large File Issues
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 18:15:46 +0100

Hi,

I just read with interest some posts about large file support (Failing on 11GB file - other large files workin). I have recently been experimenting with rdiff (part of librsync) and I discovered a problem with large file support. Basically, there are some issues and even if you compile librsync with "-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64" in the CFLAGs, there will still be issues. As I believe this library is the back bone of rdiff-backup, it is logical that this would break support for large files on rdiff-backup too. Worse still, the error only becomes apparent when you're *patching* from the deltas. So, it may backup fine, but then fail to restore.

I've personally patched some of the code for my own use (and forwarded the updates to librsync hq - see librsync-devel list) that allows large files to be written too, but there are still some other issues. Currently, I can't get any files large than about 2gig to patch correctly. I have a feeling the problem with be solved quickly though and I don't *think* existing backups will be affected, but I'm no librsync expert! :)

Regards,
Paul