Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Librsync 0.9.6

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Librsync 0.9.6
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 16:53:33 -0700

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 02:52:30PM -0600, Ty! Boyack wrote:
> I saw that librsync 0.9.6 has been released (Thanks, folks!), and I
> was interested in trying rdiff-backup with that version.  Looking it
> over, a couple of questions came to mind:
>
> 1)  Can I replace librsync and have an existing installation of
> rdiff-backup use it, or should I replace rdiff-backup after installing
> the new librsync?
>
> 2)  I noticed that version 0.9.6 does not come with the binary
> 'rdiff.'  Is that needed by rdiff-backup, or does rdiff-backup only
> use library routines?

It is possible to switch to 0.9.6 without upgrading rdiff-backup, with one
complication.  Although rdiff-backup does not use the binary 'rdiff', it may
require a librsync shared library, if it was compiled that way.  By default
the new version of librsync doesn't build a shared library.

So if you get errors you probably need to build a librsync shared library
(hopefully just ./configure --enable-shared) or rebuild rdiff-backup.

BTW, recently there were some large file fixes in librsync (this help prompt
the release I think) and some of the reported problems looked like the large
file problems you had.  So hopefully it was a librsync problem after all,
and the problem is now fixed.

--
Ben Escoto