Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Lack of --windows-time-format

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Lack of --windows-time-format
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 00:04:28 -0700

  JG> Hello, In rdiff-backup 0.10, I used --windows-time-format for
  JG> backups between my Linux systems, primarily to ease reading of
  JG> these files on Windows machines if I ever wanted to.

  JG> Now, however, this is all wrapped up with --windows-mode.  I
  JG> don't want --windows-mode to block ownership and whatnot.

  JG> Any chance that --windows-time-format might reappear in 0.12.*?

Hmm, it never occurred to me that people would be using
--windows-time-format without quoting ":" in the filenames.  I can see
how this would lead to problems with the new version though, since
what you are left with the new version thinks of as some weird hybrid
format that it can't understand.

I don't thitk --windows-time-format will come back.  The old system
was clunky and errorprone IMHO since the base filename and the
extension were quoted in different ways, which lead to unnecessary
complexity.  Under the new system increment files are unquoted like
any other file, and then processed from there.

Attached is a script which you can run on your rdiff-backup-data
directory, which should convert all increments from windows-time-mode
to ordinary W3 time.  You should convert everything before switching
to 0.12.*.  Also, it's not very well tested, so you may want to run a
few tests of your own before you munge all your data with it.

--
Ben Escoto