Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Automatic setting of "chars_to_quote"

From: Robert Shaw
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Automatic setting of "chars_to_quote"
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 16:09:57 -0700

Hi Ben,

On Jun 8, 2004, at 3:49 PM, Ben Escoto wrote:
Try using --override-chars-to-quote '' (i.e. pass this option an empty
string).  This is an undocumented option and definitely hasn't been
tested for what you want to do.

Ok, this works. I can deal with this for my usage for now. I was trying to find the option that let me override it on the command line but wasn't finding it. This appears to work. One problem (at least it looks like a problem), is that if I forget to add the override option on subsequent backups (after the initial one), the Python code crashes with a traceback. Probably not a good thing. Here's part of it that I think is the problem:

AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'FatalError'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/local/bin/rdiff-backup", line 23, in ?
    rdiff_backup.Main.Main(sys.argv[1:])
File "/opt/darwinports/dports/python/py-rdiff-backup/work/destroot/opt/ local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 270, in Main File "/opt/darwinports/dports/python/py-rdiff-backup/work/destroot/opt/ local/l

About what you suggest, I see at least two potential problems:

1) Later on, someone tries to back up a different, case-sensitive,
   file system to the same repository.  This is a problem because the
   quoting is a property of the entire repository, not an individual
   session.

2) Although the root source directory is case-insensitive, other
   filesystems are mounted inside and are case-sensitive.

That being said, I can see why filename quoting would be a pain when
just doing HPS -> HPS.  It would be useful to hear from various Mac
folk on what the default should be.

I agree with your points 1 and 2. I guess I can deal with the hairy option above, but it would be nice if there was a way to configure this initially, and then not have to have the option on every backup. Maybe some sort of /etc conf file it could read?

Thanks!
-Robert