Re: [rdiff-backup-users] UpdateError foo Updated mirror temp file bar do

From: Marc Haber
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] UpdateError foo Updated mirror temp file bar does not match source
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 08:44:54 +0200

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 01:30:09PM -0700, Ben Escoto wrote:

> > Can somebody please explain what this error message means?
> >
> > UpdateError mnt/main8/var/log/syslog/hosts/site Updated mirror temp file
> > remotehost/mnt/main8/var/log/syslog/hosts/rdiff-backup.tmp.8 does not match
> > source
> > UpdateError mnt/main8/var/log/syslog/hosts/host Updated mirror temp file
> > remotehost/mnt/main8/var/log/syslog/hosts/rdiff-backup.tmp.9 does not match
> > source
>
> The error is probably caused by files changing as rdiff-backup
> processes them.  If this happens, rdiff-backup doesn't touch the file
> for the session, leaving it as it was previously.  See
> http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/error_policy.html for more
> information.

Does rdiff-backup give a numeric return code indicating that
UpdateErrors have been encountered?

> You could just ignore these errors, and assume that rdiff-backup will
> eventually find the file not changing under it.

Would it be possible to have rdiff-backup retry automatically a couple
of times?

> Another, possibly more principled, option is to use LVM snapshots or
> something similar (I have no experience with these though).

LVM is not available on the systems in question.

Greetings
Marc

Karlsruhe, Germany |  lose things."    Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 721 966 32 15
Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 721 966 31 29