Antwort: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Problem with rdiff-backup under cygwin

From: Marc.Ellenrieder
Subject: Antwort: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Problem with rdiff-backup under cygwin and Win XP
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:05:17 +0200

Thanks for the quick reply,

>> I want to backup some windows-directories to a samba-share on a remote
>> machine. The samba share is mounted as X: under Windows XP.

> are you using the packages I stuck together? Or stuff you compiled
yourself?

We compiled rdiff-backup ourselves from source (both under cygwin and
linux) as I wasn't aware of a cygwin package from your side. The librsync
was also compiled from source (version 0.9.6). The rdiff-backup version is
0.12.7, samba is 2.2.8a included with SuSE 9.0, python is 2.3.4

> it can still be a permissions issue.
> I have found that using a samba server as the domain controller (samba 2

>  that is), it doesn't map the domain admins and other groups correctly,
> so cygwin doesn't have the correct permissions on files.
> you can test it by starting up cygwin bash and doing an ls -al on the
> target dir.
> If your permissions have something about mkpasswd or nogroup in them,
> then its possible that cygwin hasn't mapped your windows users to cygwin

> users correctly. I think with samba 3 that gets fixed a fair bit - if
> you set it up right. If you search for mkpasswd in the Cygwin FAQ it has

> some other explanations - in particular, NT ACLs and EAs and something
> about disabling them with an environment variable.

We have full write access to the Samba share under cygwin. Samba is also
NOT used as a domain controller. However, the group is displayed as
"None":

$ ls -la

drwxr-xr-x    1 mellenr  None            0 22. Jun 15:55 rdiff-backup-data
-rw-r--r--    1 mellenr  None        18146  8. Oct 2003  simplex.c
-rw-r--r--    1 mellenr  None         7296  3. Jan 2000  simplex.h

But maybe you are right concerning the user-mapping, as I am user
"mellenr" under Windows and "ellenrie" on the samba server. However, I
think we have correctly mapped the users for samba, as we have
"ellenrie=mellenr" in /etc/samba/smbusers. I will have to look closer on
this issue.

>> Using the rdiff-backup server does also not work, as we get an even
more
>> obscure dll-relocation error.

> what error was that?

Well, you asked for it...

$ rdiff-backup --windows-mode dir_to_be_backuped server::/backups
C:\cygwin\bin\python2.3.exe (2980): *** unable to remap
C:\cygwin\bin\cygssl-0.9.7.dll to same address as parent(0xD10000) !=
0xD20000
     36 [main] python2.3 2920 sync_with_child: child 2980(0x6A8) died
before initialization with status code 0x1
    194 [main] python2.3 2920 sync_with_child: *** child state child
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/rdiff-backup", line 23, in ?
    rdiff_backup.Main.Main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 252,
in Main
    rps = map(SetConnections.cmdpair2rp, cmdpairs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/SetConnections.py",
line 73, in cmdpair2rp
    if cmd: conn = init_connection(cmd)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/SetConnections.py",
line 132, in init_connection
    stdin, stdout = os.popen2(remote_cmd)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/os.py", line 616, in popen2
    stdout, stdin = popen2.popen2(cmd, bufsize)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/popen2.py", line 147, in popen2
    inst = Popen3(cmd, False, bufsize)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/popen2.py", line 42, in __init__
    self.pid = os.fork()
OSError: [Errno 11] Resource temporarily unavailable

> Any suggestions?
>

> Aside from my suggestions, I can't actually get it to work as the time
> format is wrong and windows can't ever find the mirror metadata.
> I don't know if thats going to get fixed - Ben would know.

well the time format issue can be fixed by using --chars-to-quote ':'
(instead of --windows-mode). It works then for me (besides the error I
mentioned).

dave

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Marc M. Ellenrieder