Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Filechange during backup

From: Neil
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Filechange during backup
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 16:49:32 +0000

no. you have misunderstood lvm snapshots

LVM snapshots are far better than a dd (for this purpose at least) they hold a
copy of the any changed data before it was changed

from the lvcreate man page-
Snapshots provide a 'frozen image' of the contents of the origin while the
origin can still be updated. They enable consistent backups and online
recovery of removed/overwritten data/files. The snapshot does not need the
same amount of storage the origin has. In a typical scenario, 15-20% might be
enough.
---

if you want to imagine it in your head it is as from the time the snapshot
logical volume is created any data that would have been overwritten on the
origin logical volume is instead kept (on the snapshot logical volume). when
you read from the snapshot volume if that data has changed you get the copy
from the snapshot logical volume if the data has not changed it comes from
the origin logical volume

creating the snapshot is a fast operation, subsequent disk operations on the
origin have a ?slight? overhead whilst the snapshot exists so delete the
snapshot once the backup is done (and verified ;)

Any clearer? Have an experiment with them

be aware that just because it is a consistent snapshot of what was on the disk
at a point in time doesn't mean it will be useful. For example using a
database you need to get the database to write to disk all the info it needs
to be a valid usable snapshot. The easy generic way around this is to shut
the database down; take a snapshot; start the database up again; backup the
snapshot;remove the snapshot. This time this saves over shutdown database;
backup; startup database can be huge. or course you may not want to shut your
database down then you getting into database specific territory