[rdiff-backup-users] Dev status report and request for maintainer/co-mai

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Dev status report and request for maintainer/co-maintainer
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:17:32 -0800

Hi all, for the past year or so since I got my degree and started in
on the "real world" I have not given rdiff-backup the attention that a
maintainer should, and that I think it deserves.  So I believe
rdiff-backup will be better off with another maintainer.

I realize this message is far too late, but I retain an interest in
rdiff-backup and still consider it a very worthwhile project.  However
I never focused enough to do what I thought was the next task: fix
some of the bugs (especially restoring bugs) reported on the mailing
list, but still hard to reproduce, and make sure rdiff-backup is not
vulnerable to similar bugs.

My tendency to do everything in a FIFO fashion added to this: I would
get stuck on a hard-to-solve bug, and other rdiff-backup emails would
pile up behind it, making it harder for me to get started, especially
as time went on.

It was painful for me to catch up on the mailing list, because by
marking messages with unresolved issues as "read" I'm resigning to
never fully appreciate the hard work, insight, and experience
contributed by members of this mailing list.  Of course, letting
hundreds of unread messages pile up is much worse, and I apologize for
this.

In the future, I don't think I will have the energy to track down
every bug, answer every email, or add significant new features to
rdiff-backup.  This is why I think someone else working on the project
is needed in the long term.  However, I do commit in the medium-term
to checking patches in on a timely basis (as I have not done
recently), and do a better job of processing the mailing list.

I'd like to thank all the people who helped out regularly even when I
wasn't, like Dean Gaudet, Andrew Bressen, Troels Arvin, and Trevor
Harman, and especially Keith Edmunds and David Kempe.

I also welcome any suggestions on where to go from here.

--
Ben Escoto