Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Feature suggestion: Ability to keep a certain n

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Feature suggestion: Ability to keep a certain number of snapshots
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 19:56:33 +0100

> I would find this extremely useful myself -- though it can be simulated
> by getting a list of increments, backtracking through it to find the
> 30th (should it exist), and then calling remove-older-than with that
> date. Much easier to have a remove-more-than option, though, I agree.

As has been pointed out (see previous post), this behavior turned out
to exist.

> Do you think it would make sense to define behaviour for when both
> remove-more-than and remove-older-than are used? It otherwise would be
> ambiguous as to whether such indicates one wishes to remove anything
> that matches *both* criteria, or anything that matches *either*
> criteria. Personally, I think the former is more useful -- removing
> anything that matches *either* could be done with two separate runs,
> whereas removing anything that matches *both* couldn't.

I fully agree, and that is something that (unless I have missed
something *again*) is not currently supported. It is a particularly
useful criteria, because it will allow one to have a guaranteed
minimum retention period while still allowing for additional history
in cases where there is not much activity (or the reverse, if there is
a lot of activity and rdiff-backup is for some reason run very often).

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to address@hidden
E-Mail: address@hidden Web: http://www.scode.org