Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Feature suggestion: Ability to keep a certain n

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Feature suggestion: Ability to keep a certain number of snapshots
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:08:31 -0600

> Do you think it would make sense to define behaviour for when both
> remove-more-than and remove-older-than are used? It otherwise would be
> ambiguous as to whether such indicates one wishes to remove anything
> that matches *both* criteria, or anything that matches *either*
> criteria. Personally, I think the former is more useful -- removing
> anything that matches *either* could be done with two separate runs,
> whereas removing anything that matches *both* couldn't.

It's a good idea, and has been proposed before.  The syntax was going to
be --retain-at-least <time>, where only increments matching both time
specifications would be deleted.  I even have vague memories of writing
a bit of code about this, and was surprised to find no mention of
--retain-at-least in CVS.

--
Ben Escoto