Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Update errors - file does not match source

From: Wiebe Cazemier
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Update errors - file does not match source
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 22:57:02 +0100

On 02/23/06 04:11, Ben Escoto wrote:

>This might be more difficult to implement than it first appears
>because of rdiff-backup's pipelined design.  At any given moment the
>client and server can be processing 3 different files (e.g. the client
>could be listing one directory, and patching a file in a different
>directory, and the server could be computing the signature of a third
>file).

Is storing it in a queue for later processing also difficult because of
this? I can image retrying a file immediatly would disrupt the pipeline,
but I would guess that the queue idea doesn't give that much problems
with that.

But, it was only a suggestion. I could live without it.

>>In any case, the changed-file behaviour needs some reconsideration, in
>>my opinion, to prevent data-loss.
>>

>It's not perfect, but note this is not a case of "file changing while
>rdiff-backup is running".  There is some problem on Mac OS X with
>reading carbonfile information, so rdiff-backup is getting OS errors
>while trying to read the file's information.  Under these conditions
>skipping the file seems appropriate behavior.

But rdiff-backup skips any file on any system when a change is detected,
right? I would say this is not desirable behaviour.