Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Restore stuck

From: Blair Zajac
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Restore stuck
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 00:44:05 -0700

Troels Arvin wrote:
On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 15:47:21 +0100, Troels Arvin wrote:

On b, load avarage is high, and rdiff-backup has a resident set size of
356MB (rising). On r, load avarage is practically 0.

I tried using more potent hardware. It turned out that if I work on
servers with more RAM, thrashing doesn't occur, so the restore-process is
able to finish.

Involved in the restore are directories with ~30000 files. I suppose that
this is a hint about what's going on. Maybe rdiff-backup uses some
somewhat "expensive" python container structures which makes rdiff-backup
consume lots of RAM while restoring?

Also, directories don't scale too well with that many files in it. On Linux, you can use the dir_index option when you build the filesystem.

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.