[rdiff-backup-users] "Permission denied" when doing local backup

From: Joseph Luk
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] "Permission denied" when doing local backup
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 01:45:50 -0700

Hello,

I've installed rdiff-backup on my Linux-based web hosting account. It works fine in server mode (I can send backups to that account from my client computer). However, when I try to do a simple directory-to-directory local backup:
        rdiff-backup source dest

I get a weird "permission denied" error that references a directory that shouldn't need to be accessed. Please see error trace below. My account resides in /home/myaccount, but the error message is: Permission denied: '/home'. Of course I don't have permissions in /home because I am just a regular user.

> cd ~
> rdiff-backup sourcedir destdir
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/myaccount/rdiff-backup/bin/rdiff-backup", line 23, in ?
    rdiff_backup.Main.Main(sys.argv[1:])
File "/home/myaccount/out/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 283, in Main File "/home/myaccount/out/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 216, in final_set_action File "/home/myaccount/out/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 651, in restore_set_root File "/home/myaccount/out/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/ rpath.py", line 811, in listdir
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home'

----

Any help would be most appreciated! I have already tried things like absolute paths, and yes, the directories exist with mode 755 (a+rx u+wrx). Rdiff-backup also fails when trying to act as the client, sending the directory to another (known working) server.

Any ideas what this could be???

Thank you very much for this much-needed tool -- looking forward to making good use of it!