Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup performance stats.

From: Steve Clement
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup performance stats.
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 10:23:06 +0200

dean gaudet wrote:

>On Tue, 23 May 2006, Steve Clement wrote:
>

>>This is over a gigabit link SATA Raid 10 , conclude for yourselves.
>>

>i'm guessing you're saying the results are bad...
>
>initial network backup is "well known" to be slow... in fact it's slow as
>soon as you use separate processes, as can be demonstrated with:
>
>rdiff-backup --remote-schema '%s' src 'rdiff-backup --server'::dst
>
>which doesn't even need a network... and you can see it on tmpfs too, so
>not even any disk i/o, and contrast it to the single proc case
>(rdiff-backup src dst)

Well ssh is not the best file carrier, scp for instance is slow as...
but there is a HPN Patch:

http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/

Read the abstract, that will give you insights. I might test if that's
any better.

>if i had to guess it's due to the marshalling/unmarshalling code, but i'm
>just totally guessing.  patches welcome :)

Dunno about that.

>i tend to hack around it by using rsync for initial backup then doing an
>"rdiff-backup --force" to turn the target into an rdiff-backup repo...
>then it's reasonable from then on out.

If you can trust the line why not.

TLS-FTP support? anyone know if that's as fast as normal FTP?

Greets,

Steve C

--
ION Network Solutions