Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiffweb

From: Toni Price
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiffweb
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 08:33:05 +0100

roland wrote:
> there sees to be another web based frontend for rdiff-backup at:
>
> http://www.rdiffweb.org
>
> is anybody using it succesfully ?

I tried installing it (both current 0.3 and the code in subversion).
1) Unless I've missed it, there doesn't seem to be a way to configure
the port (I landed up hacking the rdiff-web script to do this because I
already have something running on 8080 which is the default)
2) It installs an init script to /etc/init.d which I needed to remove
since it is incompatible with my distro (gentoo) - though it's true this
is something very specific to gentoo
3) At first I couldn't get the web server to start up and had to look at
the source code to figure out how to stop rdiffWeb from swallowing the
errors
4) I wasn't reassured by the fact that it saves your database password
in plain text in a world-readable file
5) Once the initial configuration was complete, it started up without
errors but attempting to load the main page caused an exception

At that point I gave up ... pity, it looks really promising. Maybe will
revisit this at some stage.