Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Permission denied errors on files that original

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Permission denied errors on files that originally have no user
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 11:35:38 -0500

Oliver Hookins wrote:
> we're backing up some machines that have files with no read or write
> permissions for the user, e.g. /usr/bin/sudoedit which has 4111 permissions,
> giving only setuid execute to all.
>
> When this file is backed up, the permissions remain in the backup
> repository, but then the backup user on the next run can't access the file
> for reads or writes, which causes rdiff-backup to bail out with an error
> similar to the following:
>
> Crashing on IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'backup/usr/bin/sudoedit'
>
> Is there any way around this? Given this sort of situation can all to easily
> arise, is it possible to drop all manner of native permissions storage in
> the destination repo, and have it all stored in metadata?

Hi Oliver,

Can you send the full traceback or log from what happened? There are a
lot of checks in rdiff-backup to try and handle situations like this. It
also shouldn't crash on something like this, but log it and move on...

Also, what is the command line to run rdiff-backup that you are using?
Is it root on one side? What version are you using?

I ask because I can successfully backup a file with 4111 permissions
owned by a different user on the source using root on the source and a
normal user on the destination.

Are you using SELinux by any chance? I suppose that could affect whether
root is able to read files with 4111 permissions in the first place.

Thanks,
Andrew

--
Andrew Ferguson - address@hidden