Re: [rdiff-backup-users] external hard disk backups - best practice

From: Jakob Unterwurzacher
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] external hard disk backups - best practice
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:28:14 +0100

Chris Wilson schrieb:

What I've started doing to work around this is to rsync the original data (not the rdiff-backup copy) offsite and run rdiff-backup locally on the remote server. Not perfect, I end up with two copies of all the data on the remote server, but at least it does work and appears to save bandwidth.

Cheers, Chris.

Another interesting approach.

> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Greg Freemyer wrote:
>> The bad news is that if my first set gets corrupted, then rsync will
>> relay the corruption out to the offsite copy.  My reason for two
>> copies is disaster recovery, not backup repository corruption.  May
>> need to rethink that based on this discussion.

I approached the corrupted backup problem by keeping multiple versions of the first backup (the rdiff-backup copy) on the remote server, with identical files hard-linked as described here: http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/ (basically, it's the --link-dest rsync option).
All the work is done by rsync, so this is as bandwidth-efficient as it gets.
For me, this takes only little more space than keeping a single copy, but that depends on the volume of changed files of course.

Jakob