Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: restore a specific directory

From: Max Duessar
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: restore a specific directory
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 03:42:18 -0500

>> Should I just cut my losses and reformat the backup drive and start
>> over? I'm getting those errors with any rdiff-backup command that's
>> run.
>

> I would suggest that.

OK, it appears I chose the the worst possible example to try my
restore test on. After further testing, I think I figured out the
problem — on Mac OS X, /var/ is a symbolic link to /private/var/
which, I think, rdiff-backup doesn't like that.

So, I tried issuing the restore command using /private/var/ instead of
/var/ and it works as expected now. Here's the logs if they help
reveal anything:

<<SUCCESSFUL ATTEMPT>>

$ sudo rdiff-backup -v5 -r 1B
/Volumes/Backup320/private/var/mysql/rcm/ /tempp/rcm/
Using rdiff-backup version 1.2.0
Unable to import module posix1e from pylibacl package.
ACLs not supported on filesystem at /Volumes/Backup320/rdiff-backup-data
Unable to import win32security module. Windows ACLs
not supported by filesystem at /Volumes/Backup320/rdiff-backup-data
escape_dos_devices not required by filesystem at
/Volumes/Backup320/rdiff-backup-data
Detected abilities for rdiff-backup repository (read only) file system:
  Access control lists                         Off
  Extended attributes                          On
  Windows access control lists                 Off
  Case sensitivity                             Off
  Escape DOS devices                           Off
  Mac OS X style resource forks                On
  Mac OS X Finder information                  On
Unable to import module posix1e from pylibacl package.
ACLs not supported on filesystem at /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0
Unable to import win32security module. Windows ACLs
not supported by filesystem at /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0
escape_dos_devices not required by filesystem at /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0
Detected abilities for restore target (read/write) file system:
  Ownership changing                           On
  Hard linking                                 On
  fsync() directories                          On
  Directory inc permissions                    On
  High-bit permissions                         On
  Symlink permissions                          On
  Extended filenames                           On
  Windows reserved filenames                   Off
  Access control lists                         Off
  Extended attributes                          On
  Windows access control lists                 Off
  Case sensitivity                             Off
  Escape DOS devices                           Off
  Mac OS X style resource forks                On
  Mac OS X Finder information                  On
Restore: must_escape_dos_devices = 0
Starting restore of /Volumes/Backup320/private/var/mysql/rcm to
/tempp/rcm as it was as of Mon Aug 18 02:04:34 2008.
Processing changed file .
Processing changed file cache.MYD
Processing changed file cache.MYI
Processing changed file cache.frm
Processing changed file contacts.MYD
Processing changed file contacts.MYI
Processing changed file contacts.frm
Processing changed file db.opt
Processing changed file identities.MYD
Processing changed file identities.MYI
Processing changed file identities.frm
Processing changed file messages.MYD
Processing changed file messages.MYI
Processing changed file messages.frm
Processing changed file session.MYD
Processing changed file session.MYI
Processing changed file session.frm
Processing changed file users.MYD
Processing changed file users.MYI
Processing changed file users.frm
Restore finished

<<UNSUCCESSFUL ATTEMPT>>

$ sudo rdiff-backup -v5 -r 1B /Volumes/Backup320/var/mysql/rcm/ /tempp/rcm/
[...]
Starting restore of /Volumes/Backup320/var/mysql/rcm to /tempp/rcm as
it was as of Mon Aug 18 02:04:34 2008.
Processing changed file .
Restore finished
luna:~ serveradmin$ ls /tempp/
rd-script.sh    serveradmin
luna:~ serveradmin$ sudo rdiff-backup -v8 -r 1B
/Volumes/Backup320/var/mysql/rcm/ /tempp/rcm/
Using rdiff-backup version 1.2.0
Using mirror root directory /Volumes/Backup320
Unable to import module posix1e from pylibacl package.
ACLs not supported on filesystem at /Volumes/Backup320/rdiff-backup-data
Unable to import win32security module. Windows ACLs
not supported by filesystem at /Volumes/Backup320/rdiff-backup-data
escape_dos_devices not required by filesystem at
/Volumes/Backup320/rdiff-backup-data
Detected abilities for rdiff-backup repository (read only) file system:
  Access control lists                         Off
  Extended attributes                          On
  Windows access control lists                 Off
  Case sensitivity                             Off
  Escape DOS devices                           Off
  Mac OS X style resource forks                On
  Mac OS X Finder information                  On
Making directory /tempp/rcm
Making directory /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0
Touching /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/5-_ a.snapshot.gz
Deleting /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/5-_ a.snapshot.gz
Touching /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/uniᄉ
Deleting /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/uniᄉ
Touching /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/:\"
Deleting /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/:\"
Touching /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/A
Deleting /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/a
Touching /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/foo
Deleting /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/foo
Making directory /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/hl
Touching /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/hardlinked_file1
Hard linking /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/hl/hardlinked_file2 to
/tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/hardlinked_file1
Unable to import module posix1e from pylibacl package.
ACLs not supported on filesystem at /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0
Unable to import win32security module. Windows ACLs
not supported by filesystem at /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0
Touching /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/dir_inc_check
Deleting /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/dir_inc_check
Touching /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/regfile
Deleting /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/regfile
Touching /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/high_perms_file
Touching /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/high_perms_dir
Deleting /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/high_perms_file
Deleting /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/high_perms_dir
Touching /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/symlinked_file1
Deleting /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/symlinked_file2
Deleting /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/symlinked_file1
escape_dos_devices not required by filesystem at /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0
Deleting /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0
Removing directory /tempp/rcm/rdiff-backup.tmp.0
[...]
Regular copying () to /tempp/rdiff-backup.tmp.1
Removing directory /tempp/rcm
Restore finished
Cleaning up

--Max