Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Resuming initial backups

From: Josh Nisly
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Resuming initial backups
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 11:09:31 -0500

Maarten Bezemer wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, Josh Nisly wrote:

My question is this: couldn't rdiff-backup detect this and handle it automatically? I've added code to my private branch that checks if there is no current mirror and one or fewer error_log and mirror_metadata files. If so, it removes them and runs normally. Does this seem like a reasonable way to handle it? If so, I'd be happy to submit a patch implementing it.

Initial backups are (in my case at least) attended rdiff-backup runs. If
the first run is aborted before it finished (e.g. because of network
outage), I can restart it by hand; this is a well documented approach,
also using the --force option.
(Actually, my first backup always is a plain rsync, because that's much
faster than rdiff-backup. So I already need the --force option to get the
rsync-ed copy into the rdiff-backup meta tree.)
Ah, that would be the difference. Typically, my end users download and run rdiff-backup themselves.
Before submitting a patch, make sure that you handle things correctly
under all circumstances. If your patch removes the need for the --force
argument, it should be a safe operation. Never do unexpected or
potentially unwanted things without the user explicitly using the --force
argument.
Indeed, that's the reason I raised the question here. My thinking is that if there is no current_mirror marker, and one or fewer error_log and mirror_metadata files, there cannot be any historical increments, so the operation cannot lose data.

Thanks,
JoshN