Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restructuring an archive

From: Alan Douglas
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restructuring an archive
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:43:49 -0800

To answer my own questions... for this simple case, this method of directly
applying rdiffs while keeping some interim versions, is working extremely
well.   It looks like it will build the new archive in less than a day,
compared with an estimated three months using rdiff-backup to restore each
increment.

The gotchas I discovered were:

- you use "rdiff patch" to apply the rdiffs, not "patch"  (duh)
- if a file has no rdiff increment for a given backup, then you copy the
version from the newer backup, not the older
- be sure to set the timestamp and permissions after patching, and use "cp -p"
when copying.

Buoyed by this success, I'm going to see if I can extend the method to more
general cases.  I might also look at hacking archfs to use this approach.