[rdiff-backup-users] snap-shots every 10 diffs...

From: listserv . traffic
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] snap-shots every 10 diffs...
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:00:43 -0700

> *almost: you don't need to save snap-shots every X days, only every X
> times a file changed. For most files, this is a notable difference.

Yes, thanks for the distinction. That's what I intended. (Changes in
the source file.)

> A "regular" restore usually means the data from _now_, or some point in
> time fairly recent. In normal circumstances, I wouldn't want to have 200
> increments of my files in the rdiff-backup tree. If you backup daily, AND
> your files change daily, restoring to a state of 200 days ago seems a bit
> pointless. (Same goes for hourly of course.) Could be nice for forensics,
> but then labour wouldn't be a problem, would it? ;-)

For the purposes I'm planning on using RDiff-Backup for, where...
I backup every week-day (or business day), once per day.
I'll keep about 1 year of history (200 business days) behind us.

Thus, a file could have approx, 200 rdiffs maximum to apply to get to the
maximal age-limit of the system (1 year, with 200 business days.)

As per "usual" usage pattens go.

1) Most often we'll go to the mirrored destination file, with no rdiffs applied.

2) Next, we'll go to recent versions, which will require only a few
diffs, perhaps 10-15.

3) Finally, but I know they are certain to happen occasionally...you'll get
a file that's months old, and have to apply many, many rdiff's to get
it to the version you want.

Think outlook.

Client: "I purged my inbox folder 'cause I didn't think I needed
it any more, but now I have a contract dispute with a vendor, and I
have that email in the inbox. Could you restore it from 10 months
ago, and get that message back for me?"

Me: "Certainly, Ms. Nice Paying Client. I'll be sure to do that for you!"

---
What I don't want here, is to over-sell the system. So I need to know
the risks and potential pit-falls, as well as ways to help verify the
system as best possible while in use...

---
And I certainly mirror your observations about forward increments vs.
backwards ones.

And I will be backing up the rdiff archive to a different drive as a
precaution. (And depending on the criticality, perhaps spreading the
backups of the archive between several different disks in a rotation...)

---
Thanks,
Greg

--